Ready to Publish
Ready to Publish
Jul 25, 2021
Self authorship is an affirmation that my participation matters in the quality of my life.
“Each person is both the one who creates and the one who is created”
Self authorship is an affirmation that My participation matters in the quality of my life. Indeed my active participation is the primary determinant of me and my life.
Self authorship is the capacity to build your whole life, from your sense of self on out to the outcomes you create, and everything in between; your attention, perception, emotions, thoughts and beliefs.
Self authorship is a skill and a muscle. In the same way you build physical muscles by some form of regular practice, likewise self authoring muscles are developed in a similar way.
Self authorship is reclaiming the unconscious Projected authority to define who I am or what is important to me is not my own.
Self authorship can be applied to everything from mastering a specific behaviour change to improving your personal productivity to reinventing yourself.
Everything under here still under construction
But what stands in the way of doing that? Why do you need any help?
- We are asleep to even ask the question
- We’re can’t hear the answer
- The authority to define what is important is Projected authority ”other-authored” so our natural response to the question isn’t ours
- We are not used to answering the question; to being effective problem solvers in our own lives
- We are “under powered” in our capacity to pay the price of acting on the answer
- We don’t know how to learn how to get better at answering this
- We are unconsciously, internally conflicted by competing needs and don’t know how to reconcile these
What are the outcomes of self authorship
- ConnectIon to my meaning
- Freedom, power, responsibility
- Purposeful action (vs habitual, mechanical)
- Agency, efficacy
- To build something important
- Meaningful participation
Set authorship works on (or builds) 3 facets simultaneously
- Authoring: Firstly it works towards the goal that catalysed the practice
- Practice: Secondly it builds the underlying authoring capacity to realise the goal
- Self authorship: Finally it builds the foundational self authoring competencies and capabilities to author oneself and one’s life
Man is not fully conditioned and determined but rather determines himself whether he gives in to conditions or stands up to them. In other words, man is ultimately self-determining. Man does not simply exist but always decides what his existence will be, what he will become in the next moment.
Victor Frankl, Man’s search for meaning