Kegan’s “Self and Other” triadicised
::I’m trying to add identity and capability into Kegan’s model::
- Static being. The essential aspect of this in this includes values and beliefs about myself; self-referent beliefs [[The 3 Domains of Life (3DL)/2. Static being]]
- Choice. Ref [[The 3 Domains of Life (3DL)/3. Present choice]]
- Experience. An experience of “Other” that is mediated by 1.
It is the fact that we only ever receive information that ‘confirms our expectations’ that ensures that we live in a world that is exactly as small as we are.
The self creates itself by living in that narrow little world which is the exact reflection of its own assumptions, and it arranges this cosy situation by making very sure only to look at things via the one viewpoint.
We shall adopt the term Identification to designate the basic negative freedom of the Nullity. Negative freedom is neither abscence of freedom – which is determinism – nor subordination to a stronger power, which is one of the forms of Identity. In identification, the Reactional Self is cut off from its own higher self and loses itself in what is not itself.
Ref [Capability 🔘]
- Habituality, habit
- Multiple selves
Kegan’s Self and Other expanded
The so-called "self" is the habitualised value-theories through which "we" (the self-author) experience ourselves in the present moment.
(A whole is any context of which we are a part)
The wholes of our
- physical, social and cultural environment
- Meaningful Potential
- identity or being or selfhood.
Ref Orthodoxy & inertia - The expressions of “orthodoxy”
Ref The choice of indulgence vs investment - Stretch and [Stretch]